The 6th competition is being held in the outstanding new Stoller Hall at Chetham's school of music Stoller Hall. As in previous years we are thrilled that the Manchester Camerata will accompany all 6 finalists under the expert guidance of conductor Stephen Threlfall.
Anyone aged under 23 on 1 August 2019 is eligible to enter. First rounds take place by submitted recordings sent in via online applications. An international jury of pianists will select up to 18 semi-finalists for the competition in August.
Deadline for all entries is 4th June 2019
Selected semi-finalists will be notified by June 15th
First Prize: £1,500
Second Prize: £750
Third Prize: £400
Finalists will receive prizes of £100 each
Kate Elmitt Prize
Chetham’s summer school prize
NEW for 2019 - The Richard Wainwright Prize
The Richard Wainwright Prize of £250 is awarded in the 16 and Under Age Group to a Semi Finalist who does not reach the final but is felt by the jury to show particular musical potential and interpretative sensibility.
In addition there are special prizes, to be awarded at the jury’s discretion, to include lessons with members of the Chetham's summer school faculty, performance opportunities and bursaries.
Positive feedback and encouragement for all participants remains at the forefront of the event, where the emphasis has always been on inspiration, motivation and educational stimulus. It almost goes without saying that the discipline involved in preparing a complete piano concerto to a high standard is invaluable in itself. Therefore those pianists who ‘fail’ to be selected for the final need not feel too disappointed.
As part of the encouraging policy of the competition, advice and feedback is always available to all the pianists who enter.
1. The Competition is open to pianists of any nationality who are under 23 years of age.
2. 1 August 2019 is the date used for determining the age of participants in the competition.
3. All competitiors must provide an unedited recording for the first round of ANY piano concerto selected from the repertoire list. Recordings must be sent via online application. Each movement may be recorded separately provided there are no edits within each movement.
4. Competitors selected for the semi-final and final stages will be required to perform a concerto from memory from the repertoire list. No other works will be accepted.
5. A letter from a musician of standing is required to confirm the playing is unedited.
6. Candidates may only perform one concerto in the competition. However multiple 1st round entries are allowed, with each entry requiring a new application and additional entry fee.
7. Competitors who are not ready to perform when called upon to do so may be disqualified.
8. The decisions of the jury are final. Any competitor who makes an attempt, or on whose behalf an attempt is made, to communicate with a member of the jury may be disqualified.
9. Rights in any Competition performance, recordings, photos or films belong to the Competition and no fee is payable to any competitor on account of these performances or any recordings or broadcasts of them.
10. Concert dress is required for participation in both semi-final and final stages.
11. Official accompanists will be available for the semi-final rounds, though competitors may choose to perform with their own accompanists.
12.Competitors agree that their email addresses and any personal information supplied in the course of applying to or taking part in the Competition may be communicated by the Organisers to any person for the purposes of or connected with the Competition
13. No 1st prize winner of the competition may enter a second time.
14. In the event that the Competition fails to attract sufficient numbers and/or calibre of entrants the organisers shall be entitled to cancel the Competition in which event your application fee will be refunded but the Organisers will have no further liability for any costs, losses or expenses which may have been incurred.
15. Entrance fee: A non-returnable entrance fee of £70 (seventy pounds sterling) must be submitted with all online application forms.
Closing date: 4th June 2019
with the following enclosures:
1. Jpeg photograph of the applicant.
2. Proof of age: a scan of the applicant’s passport must be enclosed as evidence of date of birth.
3. Confirmation statement from musician of standing that the entry performance is unedited
4. Non-refundable entry fee of £70